Sunday, September 1, 2013

D&D 30 Day Challenge - Day 1

How did I get started with Dungeons & Dragons?  I answered that question on the About Me page of my blog.  Instead of relying on the link I will just reproduce the relevant portions of that information below.

It all started in the early part of 1980.  I was almost 8 years old and had just discovered fantasy books like The Hobbit, the Chronicles of Narnia, and The Prydain Chronicles.  My uncle had a ton of sci-fi and fantasy books so I was always bugging him to borrow more books or watch something else from his movie collection.  I still fondly remember watching Excalibur, Dune, and other similar movies with him growing up.  Simply put, Uncle David was the cool uncle that every boy should have when they are growing up.
 
I had some friends at school - Jamie and Dan - that were interested in the same type of stuff.  Dan told s about a game called Dungeons & Dragons that his older brothers introduced to him. This game sounded like something that would be perfect to satisfy our quest for more fantasy - better yet, we could make up our own stories about our own heroes.  After I went over and played a session of D&D I immediately had to get my own set of the rules and tell my Uncle David about this game.

I happened to be selling GRIT newspaper subscriptions at the time and had enough reward points to redeem for a basic set; I did so and received the Moldvay Basic set a short time later.  I also "informed" my Uncle David about this game only to find out that he had been playing for years already.  In fact, he gave his Holmes Basic set to me at this time and would eventually give me all of his AD&D hardbacks a short time later.  I *believe* that I started with the Holmes set first but it might have been the Moldvay set; either way, both are great introductions to D&DI am still not sure if it was Holmes or Moldvay that I started playing with but it was definitely one of those two!

Once Jamie and I started playing D&D we found ourselves playing all of the time.  I would spend the night at his house some weekends and then he would spend the night at mine on others.  It did not take long for us to look for more options and crack open the AD&D hardbacks.  At our young naive ages we assumed that more rules must mean more fun and more game so we "upgraded" to AD&D and stayed for years. (note: yes, I know that both games are great in their own right and no one needs MORE rules to have MORE fun - we were not yet 10 years old at the time.) It seemed like we were always coming up with house rules and new adventures to go on. AD&D would be our main game for quite some time.  Of course, when the Mentzer version came out and then expanded the Basic rules up even higher we also started playing D&D again.

4 comments:

  1. You called this a 30 day challenge. What is it? One post a day about D&D?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the subjects are listed in the graphic used in this post: http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2013/09/30-day-d-challenge-day-one-making.html.

      I'm not sure who come up with it but it looked fun and like something that would be interesting to see what others respond.

      Delete
  2. Sounds pretty close to my experience as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I suspect it is probably similar to several others as well. I may be wrong, just guessing.

      Delete